ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the stripes

oldcougar77

Letterman Poster
Apr 21, 2004
This happened Saturday night - a call I've never seen before (and I still doubt).

Team A scores late in the game and calls timeout. On the ensuing inbound (after timeout), inbound passer from Team B makes bounce pass to inbound the ball and ball hits the floor out-of-bounds then skips into hands of teammate. Official #1 (who handed the ball to inbounding player) sees the ball hit the floor behind the baseline and blows whistle for violation.

Official #2 immediately runs to official #1 and indicates no violation. His explanation is that since the inbounder could freely run the baseline, the ball hitting behind the baseline on a bounce pass was not a violation. Call overturned and team B awarded new opportunity to inbound. Team A comeback thwarted.

Was this the right call? My understanding has always been that the ball could not hit the floor behind or on the baseline on a throw-in no matter the circumstance. We have always taught our players that even where a pass out-of-bounds across the baseline is allowed, the pass had to be a chest pass and the ball could not contact the floor.

Anyone have the definitive rule?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News