ADVERTISEMENT

Fun with Population/Enrollment...

B-Squared

Letterman Poster
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2002
I'm a geography nerd among other things, while working in secondary education has taken me to a lot of different schools over the years through coaching. Sometimes, I spend too much time just cycling through Harrell's site looking at past years in football and basketball.

Class basketball is here to stay and obviously class football is even more a necessity. I was driving my kid to Grand Park last week and we went by Westfield's football field. I'm pretty sure the Rocks could easily field 5 or 6 teams.

Well, back in 2000, when I was in high school, the Shamrocks weren't even a match for Elwood High School. Speaking of those Panthers, they went 12-1 that season, falling in the regional to Roncalli. Now this isn't meant to bash the Panthers, who are 2-57 in football since 2018. But back in that year, Elwood rolled to that sectional title with wins against Westfield, New Palestine, and Mt. Vernon. That's right - three programs that have combined for more than a few state titles in football in the past decade. But back in 2000, light work for the Panthers.

I offer this story as nothing more than something to shake your head at as you consider the consolidation of population (and athletic talent) to the center of the state. But as high school football gets started tonight, this fact of the 2000 IHSAA tournament would seem to be a very, very far-fetched tale.

Reactions: HickoryHusker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.